Wednesday, July 20, 2016

On my Hook ----


I am making one of these ........ you can find the pattern here. also some fabulous yarn kits for this.

the pattern is written for a stunning linen yarn and will finish at approximately 36x36 with that yarn

I fell head over heels for the contemporary feel of this big color block blanket. I stalked it for weeks before I committed to it.

those of you who know me --- know that I have changed up the yarn. I was reading all the comments at the pattern post and several people were asking about sizing it up for a bigger blanket. I chose the absolute easiest way to do that.

I'm using bigger yarn. Linen Quill is a stunning, fingering weight yarn. And it is not a terribly expensive yarn. But it does have the drawback of requiring washing in cold water and blocking in the care and cleaning of items made from it.

My intentions are a large blanket for a baby blanket. Because babies are just not tiny for very long and I much prefer my blankets to be used for a long long time (especially for special people), i tend to make mine very generous. Mommies - you will never regret pulling that blanket off the back of the sofa and snuggling you and that little one together - I PROMISE.

I also want my blankets to be easy care and well used. Toss in the car. Go to the ball game. Make a pallet on the floor. Or a tent over the dining room chairs. Add in a dog or a cat to snuggle if you like. Toss into the washer and dryer. That's my lifestyle. I love it. Less stress.

So I am making a big version from Hobby Lobby's I Love this Yarn. Acrylic worsted weight yarn. I've chosen my colors and I have started color A ---- I will not be putting photos up as I go, but Just know that this is happening and it's going to be amazing. The texture and feel of this really super soft yarn are wonderful to me. This is not a stash project, I bought the yarn for this one.

Now for the negative part of this blanket........ it is SINGLE CROCHET and it is taking what seems like FOREVER. I don't care what weight yarn you use, that many single crochet stitches are going to be a drawn out process. (It's really stunning though)

Even though it is taking a while to do this one, there will be repeats of this pattern because it really is very appealing to me.

I have next week off for vacation and I plan to work on this and a few other things while I rest and relax. I'm thinking that NOT DOING THE WHOLE TOURISTY thing will let me get some progress as well as rest accomplished.

I'll see you guys again in August.



No comments: