Friday, December 28, 2007

We certainly don't need one of these in the south

An Ark - I am only showing a small part of this. It was a CIP item for my little sis. I did not get it finished by Christmas, but I will get it finished in time for our family gathering later in January. Tracey works for the sherriff's dept and had to work through the holiday. With her kids and my kids and her work schedule, we just postponed the celebration until later.

This was at first an incredibly fun embroidery project. The animals themselves were a challenge to do. I love how they turned out. The textures of the different stiches and yarns are fun. Then came the wall boards - OMG - what a frustrating nightmare they were. They are stitched from a shiny - easily frayed - rayon upholstry thread - I bought many spools at the fabric warehouse. I had to work with short pieces and then the stitches were pulling the fabric out of shape. Many hours - lots of cursing - days of wetting and reblocking - finally adding some iron on interfacing to the back to hold it into shape.

The piecing was fun. I was sewing on the dining room table and rather than destroy all the clean decor, I was pressing on the top of the washing machine. I would sew a piece and then get up and walk in front of the tv to the laundry room - to the tune of "mom you're in the way" - and press that piece - then back again.

Oh yeah - I USED WHAT I HAD.

I am tickled with how it turned out. I'll show it to you in full when it goes to live at it's new home. Tracey can hang this at work, there will be nothing that can be used as a weapon in its construction - I'll use a piece of hat band material as a stiffener across the top and then ribbon to hang it from those command hooks. I am glad I don't have to think ahead of criminals every day in my work. I only have to be on guard for serious practical joking.

I feel better today - I am beginning to create the CIP project list for 2008. Thanks to all of you for your encouraging words. I can feel the creative juices beginning to flow. I'll have a weekend away from family soon - Jan 11-13 - work related, but the nights are mine. So looking forward to that trek. Then the next weekend, Jan 18 and 19, the travel volleyball season opens in Chattanooga, TN. There will be lots of crochet and quilting time there as we sit and watch or sit and wait.

Have a wonderful day.

1 comment:

Very Mary said...

I cannot believe a genteel southern belle like you would ever ever ever utter a curse word. Ever. he he he