Tuesday, February 24, 2009

So I called my Mama.....

All images have been blatantly copied from the Toast catalog. They have no connection with this post. They just are images that made me smile and I will probably inject random comments along about them.

My mama knew that we were having a challenge with the College Freshman - she just did not know what it was. One of my issues with all of this was the lack of "full disclosure" from CF to us. Yesterday - I felt the need yesterday to tell my mama everything. I have said in the past that our relationship has been stormy and I was really dreading the conversation because mama still can be very critical at times. But I bit the proverbial bullet and spilled it all.


My mama completely surprised me. Gotta love it when that happens. She was oh so supportive of the College Freshman. She was encouraging to me. She helped me more than anyone in this whole picture, just by letting me know that she would be there no matter what. She shared her struggles about my marriage, about my sisters marriage, about having to cry on shoulders other than a spouse because she was a single mother. Through the entire conversation, she wrapped these huge blankets of unconditional love and support around me.


More than that, she reassured me that I was handling all this just fine. I had just told my LBF earlier that I had second guessed my every decision through this. I do not know why, but my mama's reassurance was what I really needed to have. If my mama thought I was doing things okay - then I was okay.

I am 40+ years old. Why do I need my mama's approval? Don't know - ain't gonna analyze it. She gave me the most precious gift and I am taking it just as that.

Last night for the very first time, I slept without nightmares about it. I settled in and really rested.


Tonight MaggieGrace reappears. We have a quilt guild meeting at church. I have nothing ready, but -I'll document what goes on and keep tea glasses full and snack plates replenished. Miss Vera will be teaching a lesson in cutting and I'll be taking good notes.

Then I'll crochet some. A random and totally side note. Softball Princess had a soccer game last night and we all were there. I did not take my crochet bag and therefore I got more than a little involved in the game - including but not limited to yelling at officials about calls. I have been banned from appearances by family and friends if I do not bring that work bag. Apparently I was embarassing to everyone sitting around. At least I caused them fear that someone might be tossed. So - THE BAG GOES OR I CAN'T - ask the College Freshman or the Softball Princess or Monkeyface the Monster Boy (MMB -yes he got his own blog name) - she was sitting beside me all bundled up in blankets.

(Darla - Vallen - MaryAnn - This stack of journals makes my heart flutter)


Thank you all for letting me have my pity party - I am declaring it officially over. Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday - the end of Mardi Gras and the beginning of the Lenten season. In our tradition, you give up something for Lent, something symbolic to remind you of the season. Now I have to ponder what that will be. Who wants to bet this will be a significant Lenten season for me?


I do wish creative energies to return to me. It's time for that to happen in a big way. I got stuff to get done.





The first thing is to clean up that studio space of mine. The cold weather and then lack of use have allowed the dust to take over. Now - I can't have that happening you know.


Have a wonderful wonderful day.






3 comments:

Darla said...

Oh yes, journal lust! I was so caught up in the story I almost missed that picture - can you imagine?

Glad your Mama had the right words for you. Looking back I see how many times my relationship with my Mom changed, and the changes with both daughters. Ebb and flow.

Love is what really matters in the end isn't it?

Darla

Lannae Johnson said...

Great post, Teresa Thinking of you and your girls (and Charles, too - of course!) Have a great time tonight.

Queenly Things said...

That's us the Paper Sisters. This post makes me really happy.