Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reality + a thrifty find.

I brought my bud vase to work. This little vase was in my gift box last weekend. Jenn took supplies to Aloha Land to make these adorable little treats (I always pack a trip kit when I go anywhere) . I wanted to savor the feelings that I brought home with me, so I snipped a little bit of my Japanese Maple (the color is perfect) and put my tiny fairy on my desk at work.

I want to again publicly thank Jenn and Suzanne for their hospitality. I know that I appreciated every tiny detail. Only those who "get it" understand the time and effort that goes into all those little bitty treats. I went through the Flickr set for our little soiree and the one thing that struck me is how many of us took pictures of the details.

There is another thing that has surprised me about giving myself permission to pursue my passion. Maybe it is that I am finally maturing, or maybe there is just security in where I am, but I am quite comfortable in my skin and my surroundings at home. My style of creative expression fits me. I am about recycled works - I lean heavily toward muted, neutral colors, vintage fabrics or those that have that appearance - I am still Mom first and that is a great feeling - rustic old furniture is a great fit for me and my lifestyle. I really appreciate the work involved in handcrafted items. I am most comfortable in flat shoes (although I do love a skinny heeled pretty shoe) and I want to dress comfortably.

But, there are some things that need to evolve. I am now in the right frame of mind to lose some weight. I am ready to feel "pretty" again and I don't right now. This is a good thing. I am ready to proceed with some changes to our house and property. All of this kind of "gelled" in my mind this weekend. I will also give myself permission to take these kinds of trips and retreats again and again.

Pretty heavy feelings to come from such a light hearted and fun weekend. But it is what it is. And although they may be heavy feelings - they are positive feelings. Just what I needed in my life right now. The discussions around our circle on Saturday night simply confirmed where my mind was drifting. Carol used the word "evolve" and that may become a focus for me in the next few weeks.

Enough ---------

Time for thrifty stuff.....

I took a big bag of old books (not vintage, just junk) to the thrift store yesterday. Even though I only was going to drop them off, I ended up cruising the aisles and I found these.


Bowls, salad or dessert plates, and dinner plates. They are not fine china, I do not want them to be. I am now on the lookout for cheap pink, blue, or green glass candle holders to make three tier trays from these. They are plain in the middle and the entire stack cost me about 15.00. Now - how do I glue these together. I normally use E6000, but will that hold glass to glass effectively if they are handwashed? Help......

Have a great day.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I love that fairy cameo. So pretty!