Tuesday, October 30, 2007

in the studio

Did you know that Home Depot does not have cork? Mom and I discovered this on Saturday - only after walking all over the store and asking several people who directed us to different points. I wanted a design wall in the studio and I wanted it to be cork so I can also use it for a pin board when I am not working on a quilt.

We finally found enough 12 inch squares for a 7 foot wide by 6 foot high wall. Here is the in progress shot from the weekend. I am hanging this with liquid nails and it kept sliding down the wall so we stopped at this point for it to dry and I will finish putting it up tonight. This will be covered with a neutral colored flannel for the design wall use.

Of course I didn't do this to the man's specs. He came in as I was about 1/2 way finished and started poking and commenting that there were spaces that were loose. I was not going to leave this covered all the time and I had some clear glue to go back and catch a couple of corners, but oh no - if you look closely - you will see the smears of liquid nails on the surface. I'll add this to the list of things I don't do correctly.



In the next picture you will see slatwall. Many stores use this in their displays because it has shelving and racks and display boxes that fit it. It however is incredibly versatile and those pegboard hooks will fit as well. This is over my cabinet/storage/drying surface and I can't wait to start hanging stuff on this wall. We live near the company that manufactures this board and I picked this up when I was purchasing for my showroom at work.


Now for the story that ruined my Sunday. Look closely above and below this slatwall (just above the silver tape.) Close up below.


I went in and was immediately mad about the cork incident - I turned around and saw the slatwall hanging and went in the house. Only after then did I realize what was framing the wall board. Those aged boards with the really cool holes drilled in them are my grandmothers quilt rack - oh yeah - a true heirloom and now they have been screwed/glued to the wall as framework holding my spacewall. I had a fit - my Mom is gonna have a fit. Too late to correct so I will have a continual reminder of my Nanny hanging in my workspace. (He swears he didn't know and that he thought it was just scrap wood - the fact that it was all bundled together should have been some kind of clue don't ya think.)

The plan for this was to hang it from the ceiling between my living and dining room assembled for the way it would be used, and holding a quilt that Nanny quilted on it upside down for all to see. I was just waiting for the dining room to be empty of my craft stuff to hang it.

I have now calmed down about the whole situation - I will never use the thing to quilt so this will be okay. I will say - the words "I'm sorry" would have been a nice touch to the situation. Laughter will be expressed over this I am sure - but Sunday it was a meltdown item for me.

Have a wonderful day.

3 comments:

Darlene said...

What a project!

Be safe and don't hurt yourself ;)

xOx darlene

Felicia said...

Oh no. That is sad.

Mrs. G. said...

I admire your restraint in what we will now call the "Quilt Rack Incident"...that might have put some of us over the edge.