Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Good Morning - World

Good Morning world - that seems funny to say, but I have blog readers from all over the world. It is a beautiful morning - its raining and damp and cool. Why is that beautiful? This is Georgia - southern USA - and we are in desperate need of the rain. I have been standing on the dock this morning, coffee in hand, talking with customers. The hair is wilted - makeup sparse and nobody cares - we are that desperate. Like better than 20" shy for the year.

I saw an interview this morning about the California wildfires - so much devastation. I lift up prayers for all involved. I especially pray for those fighting to get these under control. Vallen, Darla, Jen , Jenny - are you guys close to the fires? Are any of my readers close or have families affected?

The next picture is of one of my favorite ladies and her sister. They are cuddling two of the church babies at the shower last night.

Miss Jane on the left (holding baby Charlie) - Her sister Rea on the right (holding baby Maggie). Miss Jane and Her husband are church members - they are my favorite couple in the church. Miss Jane was a teacher and a reader and a wonderful lady - she has been diagnosed with macular degeneration and is now blind except for huge text and light and dark. Their marriage is absolutely beautiful. Mr Buddy is almost always right by her side. As someone approaches he will say Hello _______ so that Miss Jane can have immediate information about who is there. He has typed labels big enough for her to see on everything in their house. ( She was most upset about having to have help with baking.) When she gets ready to do anything - he lines up the ingredients in the right order - measured and ready. They both sing in the choir - he takes the lyrics of each song and types them in a text she can read and then binds them in a book she can then manage. He fixes her plate. He tells her where the step is. He holds her hand. He calles her the love of his life. She describes the handsome man she married and how miserable hot it was the day of the wedding better than 50 years ago. She still looks at him the same way. They give me and so many others the hope that lasting love and attraction is possible. I love this couple so much and they love every one of us back.

Now for more typical MaggieGrace goodies - Lizzy's first package disappeared in the US Postal system - and if you are a regular reader you know I created a new package. This is one of the items in the new package. (This was for the sweet and sinister swap hosted by Kari over at ArtsyMama) My interpretation of SINISTER. A mixed media collage on a prepared canvas board. Painted flat black. I then painted the witch on the back of a piece of vellum. I tore the witch and witchcraft pages from an old encyclopedia and smacked them together with YES paste. What you can't see in this picture is a trick on the surface of the moon. It is all textured - ribbed - and the black paint has bled through creating "shadows" on the surface. I attached the whole thing to the canvas with acrylic matte medium then covered it with plastic wrap while it dried. The acrylic medium bunches up to create the wrinkles and the slow drying allows the bleeding effect to occur. I learned this trick the hard way on another project - I think it's because the vellum doesn't breathe - but sometimes a mistake turns out to be a happy accident. The letters are stamped onto heavy paper and then a heavy coat of gloss finish painted over everything and sprinkled with my favorite glitter ever. This is glow-in-the-dark glitter. Charges in sunlight or incandescent light. then has that fun glow in the dark look. More tomorrow.

three weeks - right now i am on schedule at work - this is a very good thing.

Have a great day.

3 comments:

Darla said...

Thanks for asking about me and the fires Teresa. I'm about 500 miles north - as is Vallen. I do have two family members there, one has been evacuated and one is ready to go but hasn't had to. It is so sad for all involved and I'm greatful that my family is safe.

That is a wonderful love story you posted.

Darla

Vallen said...

I checked with Jen B and she is not affected, fortunately. Thanks for the prayers for our friends and family down there. Right now all of mine are out of the path. Like you, we are short on rainfall this year and those Santa Ana winds that blow hot off the desert are keeping the embers lit. Rain would be a godsend.

Sandra Evertson said...

Lovely post and Love the collage!
Sandra Evertson