Thursday, February 07, 2008

Twisties........


This is an image from Heather Bailey's blogsite. I giggled when I saw it. Twisties. Bread ties. Bag ties. What ever you choose to call them.
I am sharing mumbo jumbo here this week - because late nights and long days have the result of nothing happening in MaggieGrace world. Tonight is even a dinner night with a customer. Trying to capitalize on the demise of a competitor. I have mixed emotions about this situation - I had friends who worked there - with families - and now they will be looking for work in a very tough economy.
Anyway - back to the ties. I have a special affinity for them. Many years ago - as a young girl - dating the significant other who was to become the man at my address - there was an opportunity to make HIS grandmother happy. I loved Mama Norvan like my own grandmother - and she loved me. She had a tiny Japanese Maple tree in the corner of the yard and we decorated that tree for Christmas - tiny white lights - not just draped in the tree - but following every branch out to the tips. We tied the lights into place with recycled bread ties. This first decorated tree became part of our Christmas tradition and was continued until the Christmas after she passed away.
As we took the lights off every year we saved these ties and reused them. As the tree grew, we added lights and I saved these ties and Mama Norvan saved these ties. Actually several people saved these ties. We all straightened them and I saved mine standing in a baby food jar. It really never crossed my mind that anyone would make light of the habit.
Years passed - the tree grew and eventually required its own circuit to carry the electrical load of the lights. Mama Norvan loved that tree and me and the man at my address were the only ones who could do it right. I miss you Mama Norvan.
Fast forward to a dinner party at my house. Close friends. Kids everywhere. Laughter. Stories. Good food - good fun. The conversation somehow turns to cleaning out houses after people die. My friend Melissa brings up a question "what is the one thing you always find when you clean out an OLD persons house?" The answer from EVERY PERSON there was bread ties - and to prove that I was OLD the man immediately retrieves the damn baby food jar from the cabinet and announces that obviously I am old. (Cue roaring laughter here) And the twisties took on a life of their own.
It started at Melissa's 40th surprise party - I made her a crown from these and made her publically wear it. For my birthday the same year - note she is older than me - my gift was a very special mug full of twisties. These things arrive at unusual times - in a thank you card from her - I left them in her car for a birthday gift. Random acts of friendship - cemented by laughter - a stupid tradition shared between two special friends.
We are both busy moms - working - raising our kids. For a time we were a team at the church and saw each other a lot. Since we no longer work together - I don't see her near often enough. So when I saw this picture of Heather's little one - I giggled - and I am in the process of posting this in the hopes she will have time to read it and for her to know that I miss her - I miss us - and we really need to take time to catch up. Melissa - thank you for being my friend - I miss you.
Please share some of the crazy traditions you share with those around you. When my comments drop - I miss you guys too. I need to take time to sit down and catch up with all of you cyber friends too.
Have a wonderful day.

4 comments:

ellen said...

I thought that I was the only one who fashioned rings out of twist ties!
I also like to make bracelets out of those plastic rings that come off of the milk jugs when you open them.
I've never been know for my "in" tastes. Now I know that I am not alone!

Roxanne said...

What a cute story!

Bella said...

kool rings ;)

loving your blog!!

found your link at Magnolia Peal~

xo ~Izabella

Elizabeth Prata said...

a big treat for me was visiting my mother's mum and dad, my grandparents. Gramma made different colored jello in different shaped glasses. She would open the fridge with a flourish, & to my 5 year old eyes, the glittering jellos lined up in the fridge shelf looked jewel-like. And choosing my own made me feel like I was living large.