Friday, February 22, 2008

Why do they have to be teens????

The normally cheerful Miss Molly is having a bad day. She woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. That sets off a series of events that can really be stressful. Played a soccer game in the cold cold rain last night, then had two hours of volleyball practice. I undersatand tired, but as I pointed out early this morning, that does not mean the rest of us should suffer.

Off to more cheerful subjects. We have very few problems with our monsters. Generally they are respectful and fun to be around. I am a fairly indulgent mom and they know it. We are not wealthy by any stretch, but they get to go and do and wear most anything they choose. I just bought Molly a - new to her- Jeep Cherokee. She has driven a Mazda Protoge (we called it the wind up car) and has wanted something more SUV all along. She is very happy with that.

The beanie hats - that took on a life of their own - resulted from a request to make them one. As did those legwarmers from the post on Wednesday. Well here is that live action shot I promised you.

'80s flashdancy legwarmers. My own pattern, everything I found online was knitted. I only frogged once - the bottom opening was too tight to get over the heel so I had to make it a little bigger. (Every time I see a picture of my floors I love them even more. ) She is happy with these. I really cannot believe that I'm seeing this fashion trend return. What do you think?

In my post about the QuiltingArts Challenge, I mentioned beads off dress trims. Mom and I found a "stuff a bag" bin at the fabric warehouse. This thing was full of various "ends" from those high fashioned beaded, fringed, sequined trims. Some only about an inch long. I bought three baggies full for 1.00 each. I dumped them into a pickle jar. Every now and then, I decide to grab a handful and sort them out. I have a little jar of ribbon bits. One of sequins - all kinds of beads. Just bits that were saved from the dumpster.

Since I do a lot of cross stitch and was continually buying seed beads for various things, when I noticed that there were huge amounts of those at the bottom of that bin, I tilted the bin and made a scoop from my grocery card and topped off my baggies with seed beads. I wish this was all of them. That da*& jar is still 1/2 full of unsorted trim bits so there is more to sort. But these will be used in the challenge quiltlet.

According to the rules - I am not supposed to post the entire piece, but I'll be giving this kind of update as I work on it. I am really excited about everything that is going on in my world right now.


For all of you scrimping-saving friends and storage freaks - altoid tins and prescription pill bottles are fabulous storage devices. (aren't all those mixed beads pretty)

This morning everyone in our community is breathing with joy and relief as Madison Kerr has been found and safely reunited with her Mom. She was kidnapped by her biological father and they were found yesterday in Franklin, Tennessee. Miss Kerr was a teacher at the girls school, and while you think this kind of thing only happens elsewhere, this reminded everyone that no one is really immune to violent irrational behavior. I thank God that she is safe, I thank God that my children have been raised in a safe home with both parents, I thank God that he has protected little Madison and that this horrifying experience is over for her.

Have a wonderful day.

6 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

We have the exact same issue with our 3 teens--why oh why must the rest of us be made to suffer?

Your creativity makes me wish for free time. I used to cross-stitch--now I read textbooks and blog!

Anonymous said...

That legwarmer is scrumptious! I'm so glad that I guessed right! Of course, you really made it pretty easy with your hints. Thank goodness for pretty beads and safe reunions!

Anonymous said...

Love the legwarmer Teresa! Thanks for stopping by and participating in the survey!~xo

FrenchGardenHouse said...

I agree, it's bad enough for them, but must we all suffer and suffer more??lol.

Thank goodness little Madison was found safe and sound!
xo Lidy

Fete et Fleur said...

Being a dancer I grew up in leg warmers. I will always think their cool!
Nancy

Unknown said...

So I know I'm not your kid... but I REALLY like the leg warmers. And I like black and silver. You know when my birthday is. :) And I'll make you come cookies in return. Aren't I your favorite niece? I know I must be the most entertaining. Hahahaha!