Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Back to our regularly scheduled goodies

Mom and I toured the Art Show and several yard sales on Saturday. I visited with art and craft buddies and had a wonderful time. The traffic was slow, but it was a stunning fall day. I wish the checking account could support more purchases because the talent in our area is incredible.


Walker, William, and our friend Jeannie set up their lemonade stand. Later in the day, Burke brought the boys to my house for an afternoon of "workshop" fun.

Look closely and you see the hammer on the bench in the background. But first we did stickers. Lots and lots of stickers.

Then I found the hammers and some copper roof flashing. I brought out a bolt from a hardware box. Remember all the high tech specialty tools I use (lol). I had some temporary letter stickers left from a project and cut the copper to a managable size. Put the letter sticker on the copper and even a three year old can understand not to hammer on his letter. Place the bolt - tap with the hammer - repeat. combine with a cheap art board - some scrap book paper and you get this ............

I added a hanger from some webbed binding and the boys took them home for their rooms.

I have to say this was influenced by a board that has been in my Mom's house as long as I can remember. My Uncle made it for my mom with a sanded pine board and he repeatedly hammered into a letter stencil then stained the board with the SCOGIN name on it.

After we finished the letters, we made FIND IT jars. I had baby food jars left, but those tall skinny jars that olives and pickled onions come in work great too.

The boys and I dug through the beads - buttons - sequins - tiny bubblegum machine toys - game pieces - letters - all kind of stuff. Picking ten items for the jar was the best time filler of the afternoon. Drop it all in the jar - add a healthy coverage of colored sand and glitter (sand saved from a years ago retreat) - I put tacky glue on the threads before I put the lids back on. Hours of fun - looking for the stuff in the sand. Easy peasy - you know that how I work.
Then a few games of tag - some frisbee - tossing the ball - repeating reminders that there is a snake in the big barn - and little tv football (because Miss Teresa is old and needed to rest) - and it was time to go home. We had so much fun even though I am out of practice with little ones. I hope they come back again really soon.
Thanks so much for all the encouragement about Sunday nights post. I feel much better after a good cry and cuss fit. The problem with the truck turned out to be minor and we are back in business. (Laura - I think you are a rockstar too).
The list I am making for the Art Show next year will be edited based on what I saw Saturday. The ATC stitching continues. I do that presentation on Monday the 17th. Then I can get ready for Christmas. Then I can focus on the goal next year of getting my work into a more visible arena.
Have a wonderful day everyone.




2 comments:

Carrie said...

Sounds like fun. Can I come over to your studio and play too?

Lannae Johnson said...

I love being able to "see" them at work! Their treasures are all around the house - door hangers in their room and the special find-it jars downstairs. Thanks so much for loving my children! They are ready to come back for a visit. Did the ball make it off of the roof yet :)?