Thursday, April 09, 2009

Maundy Thursday

"so Jesus sent me along with Peter saying - go and prepare the Passover meal that we may partake. "

"It was while we were eating that Jesus took the bread"

And when he came to me - I said, Lord, do you wash my feet?"

"Peter, truly, I tell you this very night, before the cock crows you will deny me three times."

"nor did we know that as we came to the Lord's Table tonight that for us - this would indeed be - The Last Supper."

**********************************************************************************
All of these are lines from tonight's Maundy Thursday Communion Presentation at our church. The photo of the painting applies as well. We will be staging a drama based on the painting.

We have costumes and a set ready. The guys will freeze into the poses in the painting and "come to life" one at a time to tell their part of the story. The Man at my Address is in charge of sound and I am doing the lighting. We had a rehearsal on Sunday afternoon and I got God bumps (cold chills) just watching it in an unfinished presentation. It doesn't matter to me how many times I see this, I always leave spiritually filled and struck by the enormous gift that Easter is in my Christian faith.

My Lenten journey this year is almost to an end. I am recharged in so many areas of my life because of the sacrifice I chose. (Those reruns of tv shows.) The spiritual journey if the last 40 days is really only the beginning. Since I haven't missed the tv, I'll be continuing other activities during that time indefinitely.

My note from the Universe email this morning had this bit of wisdom.....

Too often, teresa, the only difference between HAVE and HAVE NOT depends on whether or not the initial request was followed by a thank you, yee-haa, and action, rather than a question mark, timidity, and TV.
Don't ask. Give thanks
.

I have never felt more motivated to get MaggieGraceCreates into a more public venue. I cannot do that sitting in front of the tv. Nor am I inclined to simply sit there feeding my mind with "numbing cream" any longer.

I do hope this post finds you pondering the gifts that Easter and springtime are. Maybe, if you are of a Christian faith, pondering which disciple you might be. Maybe on Friday, mourning the loss on the cross. And then on Sunday, celebrating that empty tomb, such a strong witness to Jesus' victory over death. Am I Peter, would I deny Him? Am I Judas, would I betray Him? Will He find me sleeping, instead of helping watch over his people? Or am I one of those friends who bathed His body, wrapped Him in linens, loaned Him my tomb? One of those visiting His grave in the early morning that Sunday so long ago, finding it empty, then frantically looking for Him and finding that He was not gone at all, but will be a part of my life eternally?

Have a wonderful Easter weekend. Hope Peter Cottontail finds all of you as well.

2 comments:

Lannae Johnson said...

Beautiful post, Teresa. Those lines of Peter are very familiar to me right now - from my time in the church since I was young, to a recent Disciple lesson, as well as the fact that I'm responsible for getting "Peter" to the church on time tonight! It will be wonderful, and I look forward to seeing you there.

Darla said...

Happy Easter to you and your family.

Darla