Monday, July 20, 2009

hodge podge

Good morning. Busy weekend. Vacation Bible School started at our church last night so all of MaggieGrace attention has been given to Jones Chapel UMC for setting up and first night. But there are a few things to share.

College Girl and the Morman Boy are still an item. Since dietary guidelines are a part of their faith, the two of them drink root beer and cream soda - A LOT. Knowing that I keep all kinds of crap, they started piling the bottle caps in my kitchen window.

Several weeks ago, College Girl asked me if I would make her some sort of necklace from the caps. Something that represented the two of them. So I started pondering and gathering ideas.

I made this Friday night for her.

This is the back. I left the caps unpainted. In the past I have painted them because they were more than likely from a Bud Light bottle.

I had a craving for something sweet and bought some Animal Crackers. I don't LOVE them, so it was easy to control the quantity I consumed. When I emptied the box, I realized that there were giraffes on it. (somehow this animal has become a symbol of their relationship)

One circle punch, a few alphabet beads, waxed thread, and some 3d glass finish - here ya go - a fun little casual necklace that she loves.


It's cute.

Friday afternoon we had storms in the area. Even my co-workers were not surprised when I ran to the car and grabbed my camera.

The contrast of the dark grey storm clouds and the almost luminescent lime green of the tree foliage was gorgeous. Even though this photo is a close representation of the color, it really does not do justice to it. It really was amazing.


One last hodgepodge picture.


My poor pitiful house.

The painter has sanded it all the way around. Hopefully he will start painting in the next few days. If you look carefully you will see that my foundation walls and column bases are solid granite. They are about 7 inches thick. Those curved steps on this side porch are one of the reasons I fell in love with this house. They are made from granite slabs too.


Obviously I have a ton of landscaping to accomplish as well. If anyone has ideas for what to put in the bed shown, please share. I need full sun tolerant, low water usage, and low maintenance plant ideas. The house will be basic farmhouse white - so some color would be nice here.


Have a great day. I may be sparse here for the next few.




5 comments:

Lannae Johnson said...

Cute necklace! And, WOW...your house! I guess I haven't been by since it's been sanded/scraped. It will look great. I don't think I've ever noticed the granite before, either - cool. See you tonight - one down, four to go!!!

Carrie said...

Gardenia's cause they smell so pretty!

I love the necklace, so sweet. Are you going to make more like it for your show?

ellen said...

Your necklace is fantastic! I love it.
Our house is sorely in need of painting..perhaps next year. It won't happen soon. There is the old bugga boo called $$$$$.

Love to you..off to check on the chickens. We had our first eggs today! Yippee.

Thinking about you with love, e.

Julie Ann said...

Oooh! Really cute necklace! I bet she wears it all the time :)

Ditto on the curved steps from the porch!

Darla said...

What a clever and cute necklace. You did a wonderful job filling her request.

Your house will look terrific when it is finished I'm sure. How about some lavendar in the yard? Or rosemary. Or both. I'm not a gardener but both those things do well at our Mt. House where it is hot and dry in the summer and snows in the winter.

Besides those plants smell good :-)

Darla