Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Icing the tree

Last night we finished the tree to my standards. Those shiny silvery strands are my favorite part of the tree and they have to hang correctly for me to be truly happy with how the tree looks.

We complete it with all the lights on. This involves one of the memories my children will have etched in their brains. Me standing on a chair - yardstick in hand. Yes--- a yardstick.

I drape a few strands across the tip and then hang them on the top of the tree. I go around and around and climb and add until the tree is covered top to bottom to my liking.

Then we turn off the room lights and stand back and admire the handiwork. This is absolutely my favorite moment every year. That first time seeing the tree in its finished state.

The picture above was taken using a vellum screen across the flash.


Poca has not bothered the ornaments. Not the lights. Really not even the tree. She drinks out of the tree stand though. Last night this was a major source of amusement for all of us. The inside air is dry and her fur has a lot of static electricity. When she goes under the tree, her fur "sucks" the icicles off the tree and onto her. It is hilarious to watch her try to shake them off - then scratch them off - then chew them off. We laugh for a while before I rescue her and pull them off to put back on the tree.

I also finished the last of the custom orders for people. These are for a local friend of mine. MaggieGrace sales are closed for the week now. Any creative works will be for my pleasure at this point - although one of the children has asked for an "urchin" to include as part of a gift.

The order was for altered composition books one in a cooking/recipe theme and the other was for dogs and cats.



Today is our last day at work for the week. I'll be taking cyber time off through the weekend. Merry Christmas to all of you and yours.


I have a beautiful life.



No comments: