Monday, January 11, 2010

It was cold outside......

11 degrees on Saturday morning when I pulled out of the drive for aerobics. That's COLD. I have four left feet - dance aerobics is going to be a coordination challenge for me. It will also be entertaining for those around me.


I have a couple of tidbits to share before I get to MaggieGrace accomplishments. I teach 3 and 4 year old Sunday school - love it and I love my kids. Even when they grow up and leave my class, I still love 'em. During our worship service we have a time for sharing and greeting. Yesterday one of my favorite former students gave me a smile when I went to hug him. Walker Johnson was "tattooing" his hand (and arm) and gave me a smile to take home with me. Isn't this a great note to have on your hand?


Now - this shot is for Jen. She adores shoes like I do. Look at these tiny tiny fur boots. Wish I could carry the snow princess look - Carley was all dressed in white with a fur collar and cuffs and these adorable boots.


Now for MaggieGrace accomplishments.

My kitchen is small. Light filled during the day, but when I am at the stove or sink at night, I work in shadow. The ceiling mounted flourescent fixture is behind me. (I am begging all of you to please overlook all the clutter in these pictures. Focusing on my home this year is going to work on some of that.)

Well several weeks back, I was thrifting and saw a light fixture. It was hideous - brass chain mounted. I left it at the thrift store. But that dang light fixture had decided it wanted to live at my house. I could not get it out of my mind. I finally gave in and went back - fixture still there - and at 10.00 it was a huge bargain. It was a quality branded light and the globes were intact. It did not look like anything I would have selected. Must have been either swagged or high ceiling mounted because the wire and chains were 6 feet long. Did I mention it was hideous brass?

See......
So Saturday, I dragged it out and brushed it clean. Cut the chains off and taped the parts that did not need paint on them. I left the wires long because I had decided to use this as a lamp over the sink area. Living in a 100+ year old house makes it complicated to really wire a new fixture.




I spray painted that baby gloss black - using paint I had. I mounted a box to the ceiling. The Man at my Address wired it into a switch with an outlet and voila ----- one hideous brass light fixture now illuminates my sink and stove area. I love it......



That is condensation on the windows - they are dirty - but not THAT dirty. I swagged the two globes one lower in the back and a higher one to the front.





That shelf is next in here. The man can reach it easily (I can't) so he tends to stick shit up there. I also have a shelf purchased to make a pantry of sorts.



I loved the globes on this fixture from the second I saw them Look - beautifully frosted glass too.




Long term plans include fixing that rough spot on the ceiling (I want to put tin tiles up there.)


Last night I cooked dinner and cleaned up and was really happy about how 20.00 total including the ceiling box, switch, and wire could make such a huge difference.
Have a wonderful day ---


No comments: