Thursday, January 14, 2010

This Little Light of Mine

Good morning. I have blogged about the UHU Glue product Samples before. I sent an email responding to a product sample post at the blog and they sent me the January sample and other goodies to try and report on my experience with the UHU GLUE ROLLER with the permanent adhesive. The sample also included some papers, a "candy" box, and a few embellishing goodies. You will see in a few why I put candy in quotes.

I opened my sample and was immediately apprehensive, see I have a problem with other tape/glue rollers. Apparently I am not coordinated enough to get a clean break at my stop point. When I read the packaging it shows an enlargement of the microdot system which is supposed to help with the problem I have.

I already knew what I was going to attempt - even before I knew I had been slected to receive a sample. So here we go. I took these last night and everything is so dark - I apologize for the picture quality in advance.

I took my blank box box apart at the glued seam. Then using the UHU roller I covered the outside of the box with one of those really pretty papers. I went around each edge and then a few lines in large spaces on the box. Then using my brayer I smoothed the paper.

Product Review note. YES YES YES the microdots eliminate the problem I have had in the past. Clean stop points were effortless.

After covering the box, I trimmed everything. Then using my Sizzix die cutter and a Spellbinders die, I die cut a hole in each of the longer sides of the box. (I kept the little pieces I cut out to use later.)

Then I experiemented with an idea. Nothing like experimenting after you start a project - right? Using an ink color that coordinated with my paper and some sparkle embossing powder, I stamped LOVE on a piece of lazer jet transparency film and embossed it. (it worked like a charm).

Cut out my words and mounted then to the wrong side of the box using the UHU GLUE ROLLER.
Product Review Note: the roller adhesive worked wonderfully for the acetate transparency too.


Fold the box up again and reglue the little flap.

Product Review Note: initially I tried the roller adhesive for this task -- not very effective. (If I had read through the notes on the GLUE WITH UHU blog post about the sample, I would not have made this mistake.) So then, I grabbed the UHU TWIST AND GLUE and used it for this part. Error corrected.
See the Love in the little clear window below.


Using more of the paper and the little reserved punch out from the window, I made a little tag for my package. I attached the little paper with the UHU GLUE ROLLER. I stamped a matching LOVE on the tag and embellished with one of the bits included in the sample. I used the UHU TWIST AND GLUE to attach the "bling" . I used the same adhesive to attach a heart bead that was also included.
The back of the tag has my handwritten message on it.



Now for the reason I put the word candy in quotes. I had some of those LED VOTIVES in my stash. We used these for an event and I had them. I punched another strip of the lace edging using the same red paper as the tag. Ran a strip of the UHU GLUE ROLLER across it and attached it to the side of the votive base.

Product Review Note: Again the adhesive worked wonderfully attaching the paper to the plastic of the candle.

Turn the candle on. Drop it in the box. Close Box. Using ribbon I had that coordinated with the paper, I made a hanger for the closed box. Because the intended recipient is a crafter and I know she will hang onto the ribbon to use, I simply ran it through the opening underneath the closure. I ran some bakers twine through the hole in the heart bead and tied it to the ribbon hanger.
My message "you light up my life."

Below you see it hanging from my mantle.
A better view of my little tag. (below)


And in this last one you can see the little flicker flame really well.


I love my little "light" package. You can do this type of thing with any little box. Fun isn't it.

FINAL PRODUCT REVIEW NOTES. (PART OF THIS KEEPS THE FEDERAL FOLKS HAPPY) My sample was sent from the UHU people at no charge for the purpose of my review of the adhesive. The UHU GLUE ROLLER design addressed the one issue I expected to have (the microdot system allowed for much cleaner terminations. )I tried it on several of the surfaces listed on the applications information on the package and found it to be effective for the all of the ones I tried. Definitely an adhesive I will add to my arsenal of goodies.


If you try a little light of mine package, please let me know. I would love to see other folks take on this idea.


Have a wonderful day.







No comments: