Monday, January 21, 2008

Highlites --- and MEN

Molly and I have a great time when we travel. We have a great time with Abby too, but it seems that Molly and I spend more time just the two of us. This weekend was no different. We made the decision to go ahead up on Friday night. Piled into the truck and away we went.

The first stop was WalMart at Commerce, GA. Now if you want the cultural experience of true redneck southern people - go to WalMart at Commerce on a Friday night. It is an educational experience. We grabbed the 7 or eight things on our list and Molly decides that we need to check for milk and bread - (snow predictions) sure enough there was no milk, no bread, not a single kerosene space heater, no Budwiser --- etc. Welcome to snow preparing southern style.

Ice down our drinks and head out. Sing Three Doors Down and Meatloaf. After those cd's are old, we surf radio stations and sing some more. Stop for supper in Marietta (near the big chicken) and then on we go. Molly's food came with her own id sticker.



Yes, I have threatened her and she knows this will show up. Ever the ocd child, it took more than one try to put the sticker on upside down.

We stayed in Chattanooga - and then the breakfast of champions - Mom and Maccy D's style.


Then off to a super nice facility at the Girl's Prep School near downtown. We knew immediately that we were out of our league - and yes we spend the entire day getting our A**#$ kicked. We were missing some of our girls who chose not to make the trip.


That's Molly -- #2.

Now the weatherman was wrong - this was not the huge event they expected and we left Chattanooga around 5:30 Saturday evening. Molly snapped pictures as we crossed the bridges back to the interstate. This is the sad part of tournament travel. We go to some wonderful places and never see very much of the area. Same thing with Abby's travel softball. Never let anyone tell you that there is a savings on college either - this trip cost us roughly 200.00 for food, gas, and lodging. Add that up for 10 tournaments and you approach the reality of the travel. This is expensive. It is fun and exhausting and I am so happy we are part of it, but even if you get a scholarship, you simply paid for it a week at a time. A fast food meal at a time. Your turn for drinks and snacks a game at a time.

Molly and I both love bridges, and other cool architectural features.

The trip home was about an hour longer - wet pavement - not snow and/or ice. Still the tension in my back and shoulders gave me a horrid headache. Which I kept most of Sunday.

Now for the MEN part of this post. I got up early and went to Sunday School - we cancelled the winter wonderland - seems people thought it was too cold to play in the snow (this is the south - go figure) and I come home to this ........

This was taken in the kitchen. Now I have taken many photos at this very spot. Crafty photos - those with acrylic paint and glue and such. This is the main food prep area in my kitchen and the chainsaw to me just is not the thing to be worked on here. It smells of gas and oil - sorry this is how men live. I know, but I really was taken aback by this one. (He was replacing the chain) Mr Atkinson - this is why we need the studio finished. I would have been less bothered by this appearance in there than in the kitchen.

Oh well - this too will clean up.

As for MaggieGrace goodness. Baby blanket finished. One more beanie hat finished ( for a swap package). A red butterfly fairy material pulled together (my favorite so far). A pattern for a new baby gift - we will see how it works out. Pictures tomorrow.

Have a wonderful day.

6 comments:

Elizabeth Prata said...

LOL, my man used to do that too. We had one flat surface in our 900 sf cottage and he appropriated it almost every day for "computer repairs." He would scrounge at the dump and lay different parts on the table and try to make one out of many. Needless to say that is the only place we ate. Things scrounged from the oily pavement at the dump + my nice clean food table = %^$#@

I love bridges and architectural things too! Nice photo of the TN bridge. One of my favorites is the Firth of Forth bridge, partly because I get to say Firth of Forth. And also because it goes over a fjord. Now I get to say Firth of Forth fjord! Here is a photo of this neat lookin bridge:
http://tinyurl.com/ytp8g4

Sandra Evertson said...

Cute! Great post!
Sandra Evertson

Fete et Fleur said...

Hi Teresa!

I hope you post pictures of your studio once it's done. Mr Atkinson owes you big time!! (LOL);O)


Nancy

Very Mary said...

I can't believe you were in Marietta and didn't stop by for a real dinner. You snobs. he he he

Mrs. G. said...

Garage, kitchen counter...what's the difference in manworld?

Felicia said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend together. :)