Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Tequila 101 - or the education of a former "cheap" drunk




Good morning - this is the "do tell" post on tequila, created at the urge of many who commented or emailed me. New disclaimer - I am not the expert here. I know what I like and I have put these "official" notes together from labels, websites, and magazine articles. Previous disclaimer - I AM NOT A DRUNK - have been more so in the past but then became a mommy and took that job more seriously than the drinking.

Types of tequila - there are basically two types 100% blue agave and mixto tequilas. For this post (and because it is my preference), I will focus on Blue Agave types.



Within 100% blue agave tequilas there are several sub classes -



Blanco (silver - plata - white) - Blue Agave in its truest form. Clear and transparent, fresh from the still, this is bottled immediately after being distilled. Retains the true flaver of the agave. Strong and sure. Best enjoyed in small quantities. Traditionally served in 2oz "caballitos".


Reposado (rested) -- This is Blanco that has been kept in white oak casks or vats called "pipones" for more than two months and up to one year. The oak barrels give Reposado a mellowed taste, pleasing bouquet, and its pale color. Reposado keeps the blue agave taste and is gentler to the palate. These tequilas have experienced exponential demand and high prices.


Añejo (aged) -- This is Blanco tequila aged in white oak casks for more than a year. Maximum capacity of the casks should not exceed 600 liters (159 gallons). The amber color and woody flavor are picked up from the oak, and the oxidation that takes place through the porous wood develops the unique bouquet and taste.



Reserva --- Although not a category in itself, it is a special Añejo that certain distillers keep in oak casks for up to 8 years. Reserva enters the big leagues of liquor both in taste and in price.


Oro (Gold) This is tequila Blanco mellowed by the addition of colorants and flavorings, caramel being the most common. It is the tequila of choice for frozen Margaritas. A mixto Tequila is not 100% Agave.


For way more reading and links - stunning blown glass bottles - reviews - and more information than you ever thought possible about tequila go to







There are true tequila afficianados out there who have decided to try all of them. I have never even sipped a Reserva - not enough money in my pocket. The liquor store here has one gorgeous hand blown bottle of a type of Reserva - this bottle has an agave cactus blown in the glass bottom - and it is priced at over 5000.00 for the single bottle.


Now for the real fun - after trying many tequilas - and that is becoming easier in most areas - by ordering single shots in many a restaurant and bar, I have discovered many brands that I love, a couple of favorites, and a few that I do not like. Experiment - enjoy - taste - experience. Take a friend (or even better a lover) and have a wonderful dinner and drinks. Find the ones you like - oh and please share with me your favorites.
Pictured at the top of this post. Patron - Blanco - this is the tequila that I have gifted friends and customers with. I can get small bottles of this by the case at my local liquor store. Phil -the owner of American Spirits in Athens, GA is the best. Great sipping tequila by itself, but my little sis swears it is better mixed in a Mountain Dew Slushie. The gifts have made many a convert to good tequila.
Cuervo 1800 Reposado - this is what I use for my margaritas. It is also a great sipping tequila. Smooth, mellow. Thank you Dean ( a coworker), this one is a gift every year at Christmas.


Cazadores Anejo - my absolute favorite right now - and a surprise discovery. My local boss (store manager - Steve) bought the first bottle for Christmas last year. Deep, smooth, easy to sip. I never mix this. Runs close to 50.00 a bottle in my local market.



Tres Generations - I like the Blanco in this brand. Easy to find in local establishments. This is a Sauza brand tequila recognized for years.
Corazon Blanco - this was also a gift. I do not like this as a sipping tequila. I found this bitter and it left a slightly unpleasant after taste. However mixed as a bloody mary this is very pleasant. Strong bodied - holds up well with strong tasting mix. (A note here - try any of your favorite mixed drink mixed with tequila -sometimes you will find the combo even better than the traditional mix.)



Cazadores Reposado - I like the Anejo better, but this is good as well and not as expensive.

Herradura Silver - this is the tequila that started the re-education of this girl. Love this stuff - and it remains my go-to brand in most mexican restaurants in this area. Widely available. When the tequila supply was a little strained because of available raw materials several years ago, I paid 92.00 for a bottle of this. The Reposado and Anejo versions are equally as good. A great start to expanding your tequila exploration.

El Jimador Reposado - This is what is in my freezer right now. It is what I was drinking this past weekend. Smooth - even bodied - great stand alone or mixed. Try it with equal parts tequila, pineapple juice, orange juice, and a tiny bit bit of vanilla extract. (this is how I was mixing this weekend.)

So thats the end of the first class. Now for homework - try something new. These can be expensive, so go to dinner or out for drinks, see what they have on the call brand list in the bar and try a sipping shot. I like mine really cold so I always ask for shaken with ice and strained. Let me know what you think.

Have a wonderful day.

3 comments:

Fete et Fleur said...

WOW! This was very educating. I had no idea there were so many different types of tequila!

Maggie, I am so happy you stopped by and entered my giveaway. Thank you for the kind comment on the shoes too!

Hugs! Nancy

Mrs. G. said...

Why don't they teach this stuff in school? It's important stuff? I can't wait to try some of these out.

Unknown said...

Patron Silver is my favorite! I just had some tonight i fact - got to celebrate the snow, you know. Though now I really want to try the Cazadores Anejo. Thanks for the education!