Friday, January 25, 2008

Mother Daughter Advice

"Nothing is more beautiful than a full blown flower before the first bloom is off. When you brush away the bloom much of the beauty goes with it. When you bruise the bush which grows the rose, the flower fades quickly, and so is the life of a woman. careless habits of life and lack of protection to your health, physical and moral, will go very far toward destroying the bloom which you should carry with you into womanhood and motherhood." Isabelle Thompson Smart, MD

And such is the very first passage I scanned at the thrift store in this little book.


I buy these old books to use in art and craft projects. I adore the old pages and love text fonts and quotes. This one was all the worse for wear and the intention was to take it apart and use the covers for MaryAnn's birthday scrap paper journal. The size was perfect and there would be no guilt over taking it apart.


The pages were already worn - I scanned the page containing the quote at the beginning. I admired the handwritten owner information. The discoloration was attractive. You paper lovers are familiar with all of those heart pumping features of old pages. Add to this - the books were 10 for $1.00 -- making this gem a whopping dime.

Before I tear into a book - I always read (scan) through. I look at pages. Find words to highlight. Etc and so on. What I thought was a wonderful fiction book - trns out to be a practical handbook written by a medical doctor - Isabelle Thompson Smart. MD -- Medical Examiner of Defective Children, Department of Education, City of New York.
(Sorry so blurry) The book was published by Funk and Wagnalls in 1911.

Turns out the book contains all kinds of practical advice for young women about caring for their body. It explains reproduction. It explains reasons for constipation. It offers reasons not to become "Hooked" on laxatives.
And because I am a twisted and crude individual I was amazed to find the section pictured below. Warning the young daughter of things she may not even feel comfortable discussing with her doctor or her mom. Yes ma'am this woman is pretty much covering it all.



New page folks - yeah buddy - this lady covers the solitary vice of shhhhhh...... Self pleasure. With warnings of suffering and "wrecked lives." Later there are warnings about discussing sacred parts of her body in a familiar way. But then she jumps to the statement that women have "greater self control. "
She also describes how the "solitary vice" will affect a woman's appearence. (see below) Now I have to say - this was hugely amusing to me ladies. Told you I was crude rude and obnoxious. Then later in the book she covers "other" activities and avoiding causing "vigorous temptations" in regards to relationships with the male gender.

After all the warnings - we stroll right into a married relationship - and says the one thing that I may have to make as a sign for my new studio.

"the average man rarely understands the woman whom he marries."

The book ends with a petition to allow the writer to be mother, friend and chum. Oh yeah mom - I'm sure we will discuss many things in the future - I am having a hard enough time right now try to figure out exactly what and why you know so much about that "dangerous solitary vice." that rather freaks me out.

ps - my mom and I are good friends now - but this is one thing never discussed between us. Don't see it happening. Don't really think I'll be sharing this advice with the girls either. Some things just need to be figured out "on your own" - pun fully intended.

I will not be destroying this little book - I'm hanging onto it just for smiles and grins.

Sorry for the almost gutter like side trip today.

Have a wonderful weekend.






5 comments:

Roxanne said...

I'm trying to come up with a clever comment for you buy my side hurts too much from laughing! Thanks for the smiles today! :)

Elizabeth Prata said...

what a fantastic, fantastic find! Oh, this was delicious, amusing, wonderful! Thanks for sharing it all!

Very Mary said...

THIS IS SUPER! You'd better not cut it up, or I'll kick you in your dangerous solitary vice! I love books like this one. My favorite is an early 1900's health book I picked up a couple of years ago. It covers diseases like "consumption" and what to do in the event of trauma inflicted by the kick of a cow, horse, or other livestock animal. Oh yeah baby.

Felicia said...

I'm so glad you've decided to keep this little treasure of a book in tact. And is there any need to wonder why it is so well worn? :)

Jana Nielson said...

THAT is funny!! I think I wet my pants a little! I need it for my daughter. She already has anxiety..this would totally push her over the edge!