Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I learned a new word yesterday......

And became reaqauinted with another one.

The new word - ASTHENIA - it means muscle fatigue. As in extreme muscle fatigue. Like can't hold a hairdryer up long enough to get my short hair dried fatigue.

The word I knew but had never really experienced - MYALGIA - it means muscle pain. As in "oh god don't touch me it hurts" pain. All over one's body.

Both words are listed as side effects for ENDOCET - the prescribed pain med for kidney stones and can last up to 10 days after the last dose. I thought I might die from the side effects.

PSA - RANT COMING - I tend to believe that the medical community often doesn't give you the entire picture and that each person needs to become their own advocate. My breast cancer story would had been much more traumatic if I had not insisted on a lumpectomy immediately, because the docs assured me that I was too young for this to be any reason for concern. I am fortunate - I have access to the information and the common sense to know to track stuff down. So when I called the office to tell them how I felt, I knew what to tell them and what to ask. I am also not afraid of demanding answers. Others may not have this ability. But what I found out actually enraged me. Fibromyalgia - an often misdiagnosed condition with symptoms of muscle pain and fatigue - is a familiar word for me. More than one of my friends suffers from the condition. Yet the medicine that I was prescribed for the excruciating pain of a kidneystone, and actually CAUSED those symptoms, is commonly prescribed for fibromyalgia patients. WAIT -- WHAT????? WTF?!?!?! Surely we have better than that. I actually (in a more than confrontational voice) said that to the practitioner. This is America folks - we are intelligent and supposed to be responsible people - yet we are feeding the monster of ill health. And that is my rant. My self earned degree in advocacy - was validated. We cannot blindly follow where the medical community leads us. Informed patients are powerful patients. Become informed and stand up for yourself. OKAY NUFF SAID -- RANT OVER.

The picture has not one thing to do with the post - but i love the idea of a small guest house/studio/ retreat on the land where I grew up. Somewhere close enough by to escape to regularly. Built simply and furnished sparsely, available to be used for an afternoon or even a week. HMMMMM.

Now about some fun stuff already for the day.

I left my cereal on the tray by the sofa - Poca Dog discovered she likes Frosted Flakes and milk.

College Girl asked me to sign her for something that I am already doing so she can go with me. (more on that later).

I get great joy from making my store manager's day a challenge sometimes. (the feeling is mutual on his part I promise)

I have on a pair of pants that I haven't worn in at least 5 years. I have lost some 50 pounds - I may have a few creep back on because I can eat food again.

I would much rather have cherry trees in my yard. Bradford pears are beautiful but they stink. Cherry Trees are just as stunning and they don't smell bad.

Yesterday, I was feeling awful and hurting and basically a teary nasty mess, but I cam home to a FedX package on my door step. It was this prize I won over at Little Bluebird's place. Rosalyn-Sue takes better pictures than me - so go ever there and look. That big sucker was packaged in a shirt box - yes it is that big. Thanks sweet boy for picking my number.

I ordered some more Glimmer Mist. I bought my first bottle not too long ago and I am in love. I cannot wait to get these new colors.

I finally am beginning to feel like me.

It's a good day.


No comments: