Thursday, August 30, 2007

Happy Trails to You

I was MIA yesterday, sorry. A coworker lost his dad after a prolonged illness and that left us very short handed at work. Add to that a very busy day on the showroom and the extra duties of trying to cover his job. We have determined that I am a piss-poor replacement for him.

Add to the stress - the doctors office called and said that the doctor wanted to go over the results of my biopsy, but he was on call at the hospital so he would see me today. Why do the doctors do that? I spent the entire day and night worrying what might be wrong. I go at 3:30 today to find out what this was all about.

Anyway - I got home and started cleaning up in the craft room (aka dining room at my house) - damn I need that studio finished.

The cowboy quilt has been laying there - neglected - lonely, all cut out and partially pieced. High Ho Silver - it struck me - and me and Tonto (trusty first sewing machine) decided it was time to rescue this lovely. So ---- I sewed and I pressed seams and I measured the binding fabric. And I sewed and pressed seams and ......



THE COWBOY QUILT IS READY TO BASTE AND QUILT. Now I put my binding on "wrong" according to many. I like to have a "frame" around my quilts, so I have sewn on this gingham check contrast around it. The backing is more of the chambray shirting in the blue. I really like how the red check pulls the little Roy Rogers prints into focus. After I hand quilt this I will trim the backing and batting, then fold this check to the back and hand finish. (By the way - this thing is huge - I'll give accurate measurements when it's finished.)

Whatcha think folks --I am loving this one - maybe a little cowboys mom will too. This one will be for sale.

NOW - sneak peaks at a certain English Professors gift. I have been pulling together a mixed media work that I am calling MY 2 CENTS WORTH. It is based on ideas I have and quotes that I have collected that I feel are required for living a full life.

It is soft in some areas. Vintagey in some. Loud and rowdy in some. I have been setting aside the stuff to do something like this for years. I wanted it to have meaning both for me and for the person who became its owner. The style is widely varied - but hell - so am I.


A partial party page. The actual quote says "Celebrate your inner diva." Those girls are stickers that came on a clothing tag and they are just too much fun not to share.

A blurred page - this one will say - TRAVEL.

Yes it's an altered book of sorts. With room for notes and doodles. Blank pages for thoughs on fine living and quotes and memory triggers. It is giving me the opportunity to use some newer stuff. Some handcrafted stuff. Some of my best stuff. And maybe because I am so focused on it being this way - some of my most rewarding work.

I made a set of cards on lovely card stock several years ago for my local best friend. They were sized for wooden cigar boxes. I add to them occasionally as a new page of the story needs to be told. LBF has said how much those cards mean and how well the story is represented. I really need to take some pictures of those and share them.

I hope MaryAnn adds her personality to mine in this. I hope she will modify the art with her own signature.

It was a strenuous day - but I accomplished so much.

Hope you have a wonderful day.

1 comment:

Vallen said...

This is a momentous birthday and it looks like yours is a very impressive gift for the occasion.