Thursday, August 07, 2008

Fun stuff

Both girls got Kodak cameras as part of their birthday - until I get mine replaced - I'll be using theirs. The above picture is now gone from the wall in the College Freshman's room. She spent last night packing favorites to hang up in her dorm - it is in all black and white. but I have looked at this and thought over and over what a cool art quilt it would make. maybe in raw edged applique. I am glad to have the photo - now if I get the creative muse nudge , I'll print this on a transparency and start that task.
A customer shared something with me yesterday. Unexpectedly. One of those sharings that causes you to cross the lines from a simple business relationship - to being friends. This guy - big, burly, macho wood worker - builder - and somewhat standoffish - came by the store to get a water heater. I put the job name on the ticket and it was a church in our area. He said they were building an addition and that he was doing the contracting as a donation. We started talking about faith and works and other things about being Christian in a professional environment. A natural, easy, conversation that would end with him sharing a photo of a cradle he has made and a letter to go with it. The letter, written by a young family member, was composed to express his feelings to the parents of the new baby. We both shed those trickle down tears as we talked about our children and how far we have come in raising them. We left it agreeing that unconditional love, time, and a faith basis are the most important things we can give our children. All of the rest of it will then follow as we go. When he realized that I was the mother of the Salutatorian, he expressed his opinion of a parenting job well done by myself and the man at my address.

God sent an affirmation to me - through an unlikely angel - that I have done the best I can and that it is time to lean on faith and let her go. Then I come home to find that this(above) is one of the art peices she has chosen to take with her. The lettering was done by the Softball Princess for the College Freshman.


Now for MaggieGrace goodies - all these edges - a big envelope of them - are the circles and ovals for making gift tags cut from a bunch of card scraps given to me by a church member. I agonized over the decision to go ahead and complete these. I tend to have an idea, collect the stuff, complete a few, then move on to the next one. This blog and the committments I have made to Using What I Have both have contributed to changes in that behavior.

I need things to photograph (you all know what I am talking about) and to send to people, so I am much more diligent in completing projects. So until the weather cools off enough to quilt and crochet blankets, this little book shaped box (below) will be my travel companion.

It is easy to carry. It was in the stuff that Beth gave me. It holds just a few of those thrifted spools of thread, my awl, a tiny crochet hook, and a few of the circles and ovals at a time. I keep this and a small accent pillow to use for a punching surface in the truck. So this is the portable project for now.

More of the completed tags. If you would like to have some of these tags or these, email me at teresahome@juno.com. I'm selling these 10 for $1.50 US. I may be able to make a themed package (depends on what I have) or just a random assortment for you. I can also do the crochet ones with a monogram stamped on them. Again all of this money goes into the fun money account for the college freshman. God knows after all of the expenses for the summer

I have not even attempted to set up my ETSY shop, so I'll be selling these just here and to local folks for now.

Hope you are all having a great day.

3 comments:

Darla said...

Love the story of meeting by chance.

Darla

Sherry said...

I like your crocheted tags too! Isn't Vallen the best! I love her fabric flowers.

Have a great day!
Sherry

Anonymous said...

The college freshman made a good choice by picking the FAITH art piece for her dorm room. We like the art piece by the softball princess.

Charles & you have done a fine job bringing up both sweet pretty girls. And to know they are grounded in FAITH is such a blessing.

Now lean on your faith and trust Molly to make good decisions. She will make you proud. Love, A & H.