Friday, May 09, 2008

work in progress

Got a little more painting done in MaggieGrace world last night. And I washed the nasty glass door in the entry. Afterwards - I was ready for a something a little more creative.

I bought this late seventies wall paper sample book at a yard sale for a quarter. All natural botanical compositions.


It includes grasscloth papers, some cork paper and these pressed leaves. All on different background papers. Why did I buy it???? Not a damn clue. But it struck my fancy and it was only a quarter - are those amens of other thrifters out there that I hear?

The cigar boxes have a super nice bonus occasionally. These wonderful thin sheets of wood. The grain on this one reminded me of the sun. I remembered the wall paper (dug it out of a box) andgrabbed this sheet of wood. I cut the veins out of one of the leaves and darkened the edges of the paper with a sharpie.

Sorry this is shadowed - this is a fairly accurate coloration of the wood grain. Some gel medium for adhesive and a little weight to keep it all flat to dry. There are other elements to be added.

I'll be honest - I am still trying to decide if I really like this as much as I thought I would.


I had to give you one more shot (this time with a flash) of that fabulous rounded and golden woodgrain. I know the smell will diminish as this stays in the air - but it does smell wonderfully like cigars right now.

Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

Amen! You HAD to buy the wallpaper book! Very cool. And I love the wood grain in the cigar box. I think you've got something going with your project - don't give up yet!

Fete et Fleur said...

What a great wall paper book. The possibilities are endless.

Happy Mother's Day!
xx Nancy

I AM VERY MARY said...

Amen Amen Amen. And you know? I've been experimenting with wood, too. Must be the "it" thing!