Thursday, August 10, 2006

Everybody Needs a Place

Yesterday - I was thinking about how I recharge. What I do to take care of me. What inspires me. What tickles my fancy. Etc. Etc.

Day Chapel, on campus, was being built as I was refinding my way after my lumpectomy. I happened upon the building site one day when I was just driving and thinking. This place was perfect. Seated in a stand of trees on the side of a hill, the architects and builders were sensitive to the natural setting. As little was disturbed as possible in this construction. I went there often at lunch and as they built this building, I rebuilt me. I have never been in this building. The outdoor setting is my favorite.


The second place I love is at Callaway Gardens. The chapel there is equally as beautiful and the setting is perfect too. On the edge of the water with natural stone and wood construction. We went to Callaway Gardens with my family shortly after my Dad died years ago and I found solace in the environment. The stained glass windows in this chapel are incredible. I really want to capture the feel of them in an art piece of some sort.

I grew up in the country and I think what attracts me to these places is the natural setting they are in. We camped for vacations. We fished for relaxation. (Catfishing is a very slow paced activity). We played in the creek behind our house. (My all time favorite place is THE ROCK - at the waterfall on that creek.) Floating down the river on an innertube was so much fun. That outdoor natural environment is special to me.

Others have their "places" too. Best friend plays golf. (I don't understand how that is relaxing but golf courses do tend to be beautiful places) Another friend runs for her sanity - she has run the Boston marathon. My sister retreats to a camper and picnic table by the lake. My boss has his sailboat. My neighbor works in his garden.

As I started this post, I wasn't sure where I was going with it. What I am trying to get to is that everyone needs a "place" and everyone needs to find it for themselves. We each spend so much time answering the demands of others. Life happens and sometimes we are all just being buffeted along. I hate that feeling of being "hammered" from every direction. Our special places are where we can go and just BE. I am fortunate to have found those places where I can relax and be still and quiet. It took the CANCER word to make me look for that rest, for that quiet, for that peace.

I cannot help you find yours, but I sure would be interested to know if you have one. Please share yours here - share how you are rested or inspired. Share what sends you running to your place. If you don't have one, I highly encourage you to find one. Spend time alone with yourself. Love yourself, take care of you, I promise you won't regret it.

Have a beautiful day.

Day 10 - I have not bought one thing for crafting - yea me.



3 comments:

Natasha said...

What a lovely inspiring post!!!

And what a wonderful question you posed. I just may want to crawl into those gorgeous pictures you took. When I was young and at home my bedroom was always "my place" and now I am quite sure I have been searching for a new one for a long time. I suppose that my sewing machine would be that place or being covered from head to toe in paint and glue.

Thank you for sharing your heart and have a great day!!

weirdbunny said...

I love the stram behind where I live. Also the sea on a cold wet and windy day, nothing better thatn to see those waves crash!!

Michelle said...

Callaway is one of my all time favorite places, too!