Friday, September 26, 2008

Damn --- thats a big number -- 599

As I logged into blogger this morning, the post numbers caught my attention - OMG - this is post #599. That stuns me so much. I cannot beleive that for at least 599 days I have come here and shared a bit of my world - my opinion - myself with people (Friends - family - strangers who were to become friends) WOW - Need to have some sort of celebration for 600.

Back to regularly scheduled programming..

This post was originally gonna be called "STUFF THAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF"

Only you guys who really know me would consider this to be dream material. Many would call it trash. As a matter of fact the picture below was taken at the burn pile from work this morning. Yup - its a rustic wood frame - and yup - it is now on the back of my truck. It is coming apart - nothing that some L-brackets and plates can't fix - and I have absolutely no idea what it will become. (that last phrase is kind of a lie - but first I gotta see if the idea will fit together) Anyway - it is going home with me.

I do this kind of thing all the time. I used to require lots of help with the rehabbing part of my projects. Now that I have become more comfortable with more tools and even bought my own set of cordless power ones, I am a little more self sufficient. And now that the weather is more comfortable, some of the bigger (work outside) projects are about to happen.

Things that are in the corncrib waiting for attention - also known as crap I brought home. a hoosier cabinet. Several drawers to be turned into storage. Floor lamps to be repainted and rewired. A beveled mirror to have its frame repaired. 4 chairs to be recovered. A ladder back chair needing a new seat. See what I mean.

Also - going along with the phrase - stuff that dreams are made of.

I have seen this type of mixed media work in many places and continued to be drawn back to it again and again. I adore Rebecca Sower - and now that I took the time to really look at it and figure out who's it was - I am adding Virginia Cole to a favorites list. Just look at their work.

Anyway - I have a project idea - I could see it in my head. Quick grab a piece of paper and sketch it. DISCLAIMER -- I AM NOT CAPABLE OF ANYTHING RESEMBLING "REAL" DRAWING.

Now this looks like what my children used to call scribble scrabble. But it is a clearcut road map for me. I have hundreds of these sketches in my journals and files. I can go back through them and immediately know where I was going with an idea no matter how old they are. These are the things that my art dreams are made of.

I am going to keep you in suspense about this until it is complete (maybe a few sneaks) with the adder - Both of the ladies in the links above have a definite recognizable style and both have influenced but not dictated this design.I thank them so much for sharing bits of themselves with the world.

And by the way I would love - just once - to know that I have this kind of support behind me. Is that little message cool or what?

Have a beautiful weekend.


1 comment:

Lannae Johnson said...

Post 599...you have got to be kidding me! Boy, do I have a long way to go - seeing as how I'm on #11. Baby steps. Can't wait to see what you do with that frame!