Friday, September 19, 2008

Learning Curve


Earlier this week, I received an email from Jude - at Spirit Cloth . I have been singing the praises of the Polyvore collage software and I was using images that I downloaded via google reader. Polyvore creates links to the pictures you use, however this is not compatible with google reader. Why? Because once you read a feed, it is gone. The polyvore software sends you back to a blank screen. Inadvertantly, I had broken a code of conduct that I strongly believe in. I was using photographs and not giving appropriate credit.

Once Jude emailed me, I immediately deleted the images and left a note about why I had deleted the image on each post.

I have watched and read many many of the discussions regarding copyright. Many time the person who failed to give the credit became defensive and sometimes even ugly about being contacted. I did not feel that way at all. As a matter of fact I will say here - and I have already said - directly to Jude. I am so sorry this happened, and I want to thank her for the very kind and gracious manner she chose to handle this in.

Having said all of that and issuing my apology, I then spent time retracing my steps and figuring out the way the links should work. If you click on that image above, it should take you to polyvore - the list of links should appear on or adjacent to the image. I did discover that on some blogs, it will not go directly to the image but will link to the latest post. I do still have many images in my sets that are not tagged. I will continue to admire that work and take inspiration from it, but will not use those here.

I am so inspired by all the beauty that I find out there. I love the generosity I have found here and through your blogs. I have made freinds through this medium. I have brought friends to this medium. My art and craft have improved so dramatically because of my interaction here. I learn from you. I am challenged to better myself by you. I want to thank each of you for putting yourself out there for all of us to enjoy.

Sharing is important - credit for the inpirations is important - accountability is important - responsible blogging is important - all of this is important to me. Important because each of you are important to me.

Have a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

jude said...

hey, thanks for posting about this. i actually think it is weird that polyvore does not work more seamlessly with linking. i can't see it being very useful to most folks that way....the whole point of this blogging thing is community...anyway, thanks again... jude

Anonymous said...

good person