Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Inspiration - and the inspired WIP

I saw this ( I think on the decor8 blog) etched glass artwork and fell head over heels in love (lust). I adore words and fonts and this is just plain fun. If anyone out there can identify the artist, I would love to provide a link here. I am on a spending moratorium so I came up wth my own pattern fully inspired by this work.

Since I am much more comfortable and fully equipped for stitch work (you really have no idea how well equipped), I chose that as my medium. There are some birthdays that are way past due to be gifted and this will soon be finished and on it's way to a new home. This is one of the top secret projects I have referred to in the last few weeks.

I took a LOVE chart and regraphed it into an assemblage of the words. Then using floss left over from cross stitch kits, I blocked off a rectangle on a piece of linen with blue, dark red and green floss. I then chose a random location to start the stitching of the words.

After I finished stitching the words, the piece still looked incomplete. Enter a software package that I found online - random stripe generator - and I chose a few colors off their chart knowing that I could sub in my own floss colors later. Since coming up with a layout plan, I have been happily stitching away - completely filling in the background of the thing. I like just a few stitches finishing it.

I am having trouble deciding how to finish this. Part of me wants it to be a pillow. Part of me wants it to be a quilted wall hanging. Part of me wants to mix media mount it with papers and such onto a canvas. Any feedback on how you might display this in your home or office?

MaggieGrace goodies have been few and far between of late here. I have been working on things, just holding back on some of them.

Why was this so top secret? ------- FEAR ------- Because I still do not fully trust my design and art instincts, I kept this to myself until I was okay with it. What if it turned out wonky? What if it was too weird and I just wanted to toss it (been there done that)? What if.... What if..... What if......

I do like how how it has finished, but part of me still wonders if anyone else will like it. I am trying to slay those WHAT IF demons by participating in the be brave challenges and by following the WHAT IF commentary over at spirit cloth and the commentary on it by calamity kim. Any of you guys still fight the "what if monster"? Any battle secrets for victory that you want to share?

I have a new top secret project to start very soon involving a certain bloggers soon to be new little one in her arms. This one will remain top secret until delivery, but for a different reson - she reads and this one needs to be secret until it goes to her house to live.

Have a wonderful day everyone........


10 comments:

Queenly Things said...

I love, love, love this. I vote for a pillow on the couch where everyone can love, love, love it, too.

ellen said...

I think it's beautiful...no matter what you do with it. It truly is wonderful, Teresa.

Carrie said...

I love it too, I'd do a pillow or a wall hanging, but I'd have to add sparkling beads to a wall hanging.

You mean I have to wait until the end of February to see what you are making?!?! Argh!!!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I would "love" this as a pillow! Great work!!!
Lannae

Anonymous said...

I say pillow ... it's great.. trust yourself ... it would look good in any style room.. it is super!!!!

Lannae Johnson said...

Thanks for the emailed tip...this is a test.

jude said...

it really doesn't matter, when you get down to it. it is you, i guess, and that is what matters. and you have share it, that is what really matters. now we can have a conversation with you about it and that is just great! love it.

Fete et Fleur said...

I love it more than the piece that inspired it. It's beautiful!

Nancy

Very Mary said...

Loving that etched glass! I'm such a sucker for frosted/etched glass.

Roxie said...

Love the etched glass. Now I want to learn how to do that craft. My biggest "what if" is "what if I didn't have to bother with paying bills and could just CREATE!"

Oh, well, maybe someday...