Thursday, July 17, 2008

Family Fun Night

One of the best decisions ever made in my life. I really cannot say that I made this decision. Many years ago, I was asked by a friend if I would work with the youth or children at Jones Chapel. He asked over and over and I told him no repeatedly. I did not have the time. I was the mother of small children. I work full time. Excuses - I used many of them to tell him NO.

Then one Sunday - he asked at the local Bar-B-Que place -we all went there and sat together after church on Sunday. At the time - this crazy woman stpped out of my body and said --- "sure I'll help you."

Thus began some of the most rewarding work I have accomplished. Some of the kids in that group are now married. Tonight we even have a baby shower for Melissa Compton Williams - one of those first kids.

I have been the youth director - a Sunday School teacher - Choir and Drama producer - craft leader - music leader. All of those hats and so many more - babysitter - custodian - nanny - bus driver - on and on.

And last night found me leading the water games for the elementary aged kids while the older one shared and reflected on a recent mission trip.

A few pictures of our games. A few comments and observations of the people involved.


Little R - cerebral palsy - such a beautiful spirit - commercial spray bottle - very effective. I learn from this wonderful boy every time I am around him and his family.


Miss Jean and Baby K - Miss Jean could give Martha Stewart a run for her money in the organizing/cleaning arena.



Sorry - this one is so dark - I snapped it before the camera adjusted for the light. To the far right is Miss Beth ducking out of the way.


Water balloon toss - way fun - and the couple who filled the balloons for us - stored them in ice water. FUNNY for those unsuspecting victims.

notice - the adult man in blue - I do believe he had more fun than the kids.


It's a free for all - water guns and soakers. I finally broke out the hose as my weapon of choice.


This beautiful couple will be welcoming Baby Margo at any time now.


Smiles - squeals and giggles in abundance.

I looked around last night and realized just how much God means to these families. I reflect on how important faith is to me and to those closest to me. I have been so blessed to work with these images of God. I have watched our church grow as these kids and youth have shared with their friends. We are the body of Christ. We are the hands and voice of God to the world around us. Our relationship with God through Christ is the center of an incredible circle of life and faith.

Working with these children has been and continues to be one of the biggest joys in my life. I thank God for each and everyone of them and their families. My cup surely runs over with blessings.

My encouragement to you. Follow the tug of God at your soul. The blessings you receive will far outweigh any amount of sacrifice or effort you expend. God loves you and God wants you to have the best of eternal life with Him.

It was and still is one of the best decisions I ever made.

Have a wonderful day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we receive an abundance of loving blessings when we give to the Lord with our time and talents. I can testify to that because of my experience. My cup runs over and I praise His name for it all. Love, AA